Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Movies






Memories from Meygan

From the shopping to the excessive Christmas music playing, I love everything there is to love about Christmas! There are special Christmas events and traditions my family and I partake in every year. For example, every year my dad watches A Christmas Carol. As a child, I loved the story of Scrooge but after watching it for 20 years+, I began to grow a little tired of the tale! Now that I am grown and married, my Christmas tradition with my father is teasing him for watching The Christmas Carol. My father watching The Christmas Carol wouldn’t be so bad if he actually watched other Christmas movies, but I can count on one hand how many movies my dad has watched in the past 5 years. I will more than likely read the book this year though and maybe I can encourage my dad to do the same just to break up the monotony! 


My go-to Christmas movies would have to be Home Alone (1 or 2 but definitely not 3) and The Grinch! The Grinch is such a classic, and I will watch the cartoon or the one starring Jim Carrey. However, I prefer the cartoon version. Also, I watch The Nightmare before Christmas. Yes, people debate if the movie is a Halloween or a Christmas movie. Well, the movie combines both of my favorite holidays so I watch it around Halloween and Christmas! Growing up, we watched Rudolph and Frosty so I try to find those movies too! However, I have a lot of catching up to do. So far the only Christmas related movie I have watched is Bad Santa!


I love getting into the Christmas spirit because Christmas reminds me more than any other day does just how important it is and how good it feels to be surrounded by loved ones. With that being said, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and my wish for you is to never become “too old” for family traditions. They are, after all, some of the most special times of our lives. 

If this stirred up some memories for you, then you may want to check out the library's DVD collection!  We have several versions of  A Christmas Carol.  Actors playing Scrooge include Patrick Stewart, Reginald Owen, and even Jim Carrey! The library also has a copy of Scrooged starring Bill Murray and Scrooge starring Albert Finney.  And of course, the classic novel of A Christmas Carol is available at the Bristol Public Library, including young adult graphic novels and even a Steam Punk edition! A Christmas Carol is available on CD as well.  


Also available at the Bristol Public Library are Home Alone 1, 2, and 3; Tim Burton's The Nightmare before Christmas; Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon and Jim Carrey version); and Frosty the Snowman and Frosty Returns. We also have many Christmas CDs including Frosty the Snowman and other Favorites, Now That’s What I Call Christmas, and Ultimate Christmas by the Beach Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment