Monday, December 7, 2020

Audio Book Recommendations by Christy

 

            I didn’t start listening to audio books until I was in my 30s, and I’m kicking myself that I waited that long. I still read traditional books but for some genres (specifically non-fiction), I prefer the audio medium now. Listening to audio books has almost doubled my yearly reading count, and opened up a new world of content for me. Here are a few of my favorite audio books that I highly recommend.

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short

            This book is what got me into audio books. I checked it out on a whim after seeing a few glowing reviews pop up on Good Reads. I liked Martin Short just fine but never really gave him a second thought. This book made me love him and appreciate his talents. He does silly voices and sings songs but he’s also clearly grateful for his friends, family, and the life he leads. He also tenderly remembers loved ones who have passed, and it’s hard not to feel his grief along with him. A well-rounded and charming memoir.


 

True Crime from Texas Monthly

            A collection of five articles from Texas Monthly, this audio book is perfect for true crime fans who may not be in the mood to commit to one story. As someone who seeks out in depth, true crime articles, Texas Monthly always seems to deliver, and this audio book is further proof of that. Whether you want to hear about a woman who robbed banks for years dressed as a man or a mother who plotted murder to secure her daughter’s spot on a cheerleading squad, there’s something here for everyone.


 

Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

            This is a great, quick listen that you could probably finish up while wrapping Christmas presents. I hadn’t read this book since elementary school but it’s still as charming as ever. Elaine Stritch does a fantastic job narrating, and she sounds like she’s enjoying herself too. A delightful way to kick off the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment