Monday, June 18, 2018

The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher





The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher  6 titles, 2004-2009. New York: Ace books.

Reviewed by Brenda G.
 
          In the spring of 2011, I took a partial sabbatical from Virginia Intermont College to complete some work for Greenville County, South Carolina Schools.  An ice storm struck in my second week of this out-of-state effort. Lodged in a hotel, the restaurant next door closed, vending machines emptied, and though we had heat, lights, and water, cable and Internet were down. Schools, of course, were closed. But all was not lost! A Bi-Lo (grocery store) stood open next door. Food and reading material could be had. I thought about walking but the ice convinced me driving was preferable. In the store, I, with grateful appreciation, of course found food. I also found volume 6 of The Codex Alera, First Lord’s Fury. I prefer to read series in order; this time I was happy to find something that looked intriguing and that was not a romance, though the series contains romances, I discovered.

          I read the book, all 759 pages of it, in a single day. I liked it, especially the many unusual characters and events Butcher throws at the reader. I still like it, and I have probably read the entire series three times by now. (I do reread books I enjoy, to savor them and to look for hints and clues I might have missed.)

          Realizing schools would likely remain closed all week, I returned home the next day, Wednesday. Still lots of ice on the roads. Upon arrival in Jonesborough, I drove to Books-a-Million in Johnson City (no ice at home,) and bought the entire series, which I promptly read from beginning to end.

          What makes this series special? Sentient, highly intelligent, shape-shifting social insects. A missing Roman legion and its camp followers. Sentient canines, the Canim, who usually walk upright and communicate clearly, if one cares to learn their language. Other forms of intelligent life are also on this world, the world named Alera, including the IceMen and the Marat. And local elemental forces called furies add to the mix.

          The main character is a boy at the beginning, called Tavi. He is not who he believes he is; the truth comes later. He seems to be a small, rural boy, essentially a shepherd. He commands no special powers, despite having a talented mother and uncle. His father died years earlier. As this is a story that, to a certain extent, asks a young boy, later man, and his companions to save their world, it is a type of epic fantasy with many incredible characters. It is also thought-provoking and a lot of fun. Suspend disbelief and read! 

The series in order:
  
Furies of Calderon, Book One
Academ’s Fury, Book Two
Cursor’s Fury, Book Three
Captain’s Fury, Book Four
Princeps’ Fury, Book Five
First Lord’s Fury, Book Six



No comments:

Post a Comment