Monday, April 24, 2023

Favorite Series: Selena's Picks (Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner, and more!)

 

The theme for National Library Week this year is “There’s More to the Story.” With that in mind, we asked staff to tell us the names of some of their favorite series. Today we hear from Selena who works in the Children’s Department.

 


I love love Karin Slaughter!  She is such a good writer.  Her books are so suspenseful.  I started with the Grant County  series which is set in Georgia.  Sara Linton is the pediatrician and medical examiner in a small town. Her ex-husband is the chief of police.  The first book in the series is Blindsighted. The other titles are: 

Kisscut

A Faint Cold Fear

Indelible

Faithless

Beyond Reach

Undone


She also writes the connected Will Trent series, which is set in Atlanta.  Trent is an agent with Georgia Bureau of Investigation, along with his partner, Faith Mitchell.  The first book in that series is Triptych.  In the third book in this series, Undone, Sara Linton shows up. The books are:

Triptych

Fractured

Undone

Broken

Fallen

Criminal

Unseen

The Kept Woman

The Last Widow

The Silent Wife

I’m looking forward to the next one in the series.  The title is After That Night and it’s due out in August this year. I’m already on reserve for it! 

In case you didn’t know, there’s a TV show based on the series, “Will Trent.”

 


Another author I love is Lisa Gardner, and she also has two series I really, really like.  The FBI Profiler series starts with The Perfect Husband. Pierce Quincy is the profiler, and these books will have you on the edge of your seat.  The others in the series are: 

The Third Victim

The Next Accident

The Killing Hour

Gone

Say Goodbye

Right Behind You

The other series stars D.D. Warren, a tough Boston cop. She is such a good character.  The books in this series are:

Alone

Hide

The Neighbor

Live to Tell

Love You More

Catch Me

Fear Nothing

Find Her

Look for Me

Never Tell

When You See Me

The C.B. Strike series by Robert Galbraith is another one I like.  Cormoran Strike is a British private detective with a complex backstory.  He’s ex-Royal Military Police, he lost part of his leg in Afghanistan, and he’s the illegitimate son of a rock star.  He has a secretary, Robin Ellacott, who is supposed to only be a temp but ends up staying. The books are good mysteries but sometimes I worry that I am just hanging in there for the “will they or won’t they?” It is driving me crazy!

The books in the series are:

The Cuckoo’s Calling

The Silkworm

Career of Evil

Lethal White

Troubled Blood

The Ink Black Heart

 


I am reading my way through Lousie Penny’s Armand Gamache books 

right now. They are set in Canada, many in a small village called Three Pines.  I love the characters and the way Penny writes. They’re good mysteries but it’s the characters that bring me back. I’m on #11 now, The Nature of the Beast.  These books have won a ton of awards. The books are:

 

Still Life

A Fatal Grace

The Cruelest Month

A Rule Against Murder

The Brutal Telling

Bury Your Dead

A Trick of the Light

The Beautiful Mystery

How the Light Gets In

The Long Way Home

The Nature of the Beast

A Great Reckoning

Glass Houses

Kingdom of the Blind

A Better Man

All the Devils Are Here

The Madness of Crowds

A World of Curiosities

 

I have a ton more but those are my top picks. Until I think –“Wait a minute what about ....?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment