Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Favorite Series: Ashley's Picks (Thomas Harris, Allie Brosh, and more!)

 

The theme for National Library Week this year is “There’s More to the Story.” With that in mind, we asked staff to tell us the names of some of their favorite series. Today we hear from Ashley who works in the Reference Department.


~Hannibal series by Thomas Harris, but it's hard to say which one is first. Some authors start a series, then they write prequels. 

 

In written order the books are: 
Red Dragon

The Silence of the Lambs

Hannibal

Hannibal Rising


Typically I go with what was written first, but Hannibal Rising is just so good and doesn't get enough love! I think part of my affection for it is that it was released after I'd already fallen in love with the others, so it was fun to get to experience it as it when it was released. It starts with Hannibal's childhood and tells what went before the other books. 

 


~Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay is another series that's one of my "go-to" reads since I like to re-read books so much. Yes, it's another serial killer series!

 

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dexter by Design 

Dexter is Delicious

Double Dexter

Dexter's Final Cut

Dexter is Dead

 

I feel like Darkly Dreaming Dexter might be one of my favorite books, ever. The author uses such gorgeous language and turns of phrase, that at times you almost forget the subject matter he's using it about! 

 


~His Majesty's Dragon/Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is soooooo good. It's the Napoleonic War, but with dragons! Everything is better with dragons. I particularly loved that this one did a fantastic job characterizing the dragons and the humans; often a book will pull off one while leaving the other underdeveloped, but it's clear from the very beginning that Naomi Novik adores all of the characters she's created. 

 

His Majesty's Dragon

Throne of Jade

Black Powder War

Empire of Ivory 

Victory of Eagles

Tongues of Serpents

Crucible of Gold

Blood of Tyrants

League of Dragons 

 


~Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is a time travel/romance/historical fiction series about a modern woman who ends up back in the 1700s in Scotland. I'll admit, I ended up quitting around halfway through The Fiery Cross, but I really enjoyed those first four! Maybe one day I'll get around to finishing them up? 

 

Outlander

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

The Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

An Echo in the Bone

Written in My Own Heart's Blood

Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone

 


~The Memoirs of Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan- I hesitated to include this, because I love/hate them. I loved the concept and the characters, but did spend a lot of time grumbling at the author's choices about what to include. I very much wanted to hear about a lot of things she skipped over and spent a lot of my time sighing at the repetitive nature of what she did choose to focus on. But! I would absolutely recommend them to people and the world needs more dragons, so... 

 

A Natural History of Dragons

The Tropic of Serpents

Voyage of the Basilisk

In the Labyrinth of Drakes

Within the Sanctuary of Wings

 


~The Chronicles of Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones is a series of seven books that are often in the children's section but are great stories for everyone! When I first read these in middle school, I was absolutely enchanted by the amount of worldbuilding she put into these! I'm also a fan of a series that can be read out of order and still make sense. 

 

Charmed Life

The Magicians of Caprona

Witch Week

The Lives of Christopher Chant

Conrad's Fate

The Pinhoe Egg

Mixed Magics

 

 


~Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe is a series of graphic novels re-telling the story of Persephone and Hades in modern terms. It started out as a webcomic, which I always struggle to keep up with but found myself excitedly checking for updates often. When the graphic novels started coming out, I was thrilled to see how well it translated from one medium to the other. There are three volumes so far, with a fourth set to come out soon. 

 


~Hyperbole and a Half and Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh were two I hesitated over, as I couldn't quite decide if they qualified as a series or not, given that there are only two? But Jeanne pointed out that since Solutions and Other Problems carries on where the other leaves off, it would be considered a series! These two are books that I struggle to get through because I have to put them down so often to get through a laughing fit, although the second one really goes in depth on some pretty tough topics and I found I was putting it down just as often to wipe away some tears, as well. These two just might be my most recommended books...  

No comments:

Post a Comment