Monday, September 12, 2022

Chivalry by Neil Gaiman, art by Colleen Doran

 


Reviewed by Jeanne

 

Elderly widow Mrs. Whitaker likes to stop at the Oxfam shop on her way home from the post office on Thursdays. You never know what you might find at a thrift shop: a stuffed cobra, for instance.  This day Mrs. Whitaker finds some romance novels to read and the Holy Grail.

She thinks it will look nice on her mantelpiece.

It does, but then a young man on a horse comes by and wants the Grail.  His name is Galaad, and he’s on a quest, you see.

Only Mrs. Whitaker likes the way it looks on the mantelpiece and doesn’t want to give it up.

I first read this as a short story in a collection of Gaiman’s work and found it charming.  It’s just as charming in graphic novel form, with beautiful watercolor artwork and hints of illuminated manuscript that fit in well with the tone of the story.  It’s not surprising to read in the afterword that artist Doran fell in love with the story and waited years to be able to illustrate it. Her attention to detail is really extends the story, especially as it pertains to Mrs. Whitaker and her late husband. It's truly a gorgeously illustrated version.

The juxtaposition of the ordinary and the fantastic is handled so well in both formats, and the gentle humor just shines.  One thing I love about both versions is that Mrs. Whitaker is no fool.  To say more would venture into spoiler territory, I think.

Frankly, I like both versions.  I love Gaiman’s way with words, with the nuances that he coveys.  I do envision the story my way, though, and I’m glad that I had read it first before seeing the illustrated version. And, I confess, I still like the text only version a little bit better because sometimes illustrations take me away from the words.  It’s sort of the difference between reading a book and seeing the movie but let me hastily add that I feel Doran has been far more faithful to Gaiman’s vision than almost any movie version.  She truly wants to compliment his work and I believe she has succeeded brilliantly.

And I have to say that I think this version will find its way into more hands and introduce this lovely tale to more people, which is a most noble and worthy quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment