Monday, December 13, 2021

Staff Christmas Favorites: Mr. Scrooge

 



Christina:  My favorite TV Scrooge is George C. Scott. He was born in my hometown, even if he doesn’t claim us.

 

 

Christy:  My favorite Scrooge is Jim Carrey's version in Disney's A Christmas Carol. The movie is surprisingly dark which I think works well for the ultimate Christmas ghost story.  Carrey is fantastic in all his roles as well. I feel like it's an underrated gem and a little unfairly maligned.

 

My dad bought the movie when it came out on DVD (all the way back in 2010) despite not having seen it at the time. When I asked why he would buy a movie he's never seen his simple response was, "It's A Christmas Carol. We know it's good."

 


Ashley: Every Christmas Eve, we settle in and watch A Muppet Christmas Carol. A story that's always been a favorite of mine, I have to admit that the Muppets have perhaps ruined me for other versions; no one seems to tell the story quite as well as Gonzo does! Statler and Waldorf as the Marley brothers are our favorites, so much so that it's made me pause in recent years when I remember that the original only has one Marley. Michael Caine is easily my favorite Scrooge, and the seriousness in his performance alongside the Muppets is easily one of my favorite things about the movie. It just doesn't feel like Christmas Eve until we get to sing along with Kermit as he lets us know that there's 'One More Sleep Til Christmas'. 

 

Justin:  The TNT special A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart. Because he can really convey the bitterness, sadness, and regret in Scrooge's character. The entire direction of the movie is marvelous, and really evokes emotion from the viewer. This one left its mark on me growing up. (Bristol Main has it.) 

 


Jeanne:  I have several favorites!  George C. Scott is the one I always think of first, with the wonderful David Warner as Bob Cratchit.   I also love Michael Caine’s performance; not only is he a great Scrooge, but the way he interacts with the Muppets is so natural and realistic that I sort of forget they are Muppets. I also like to make time to watch Mr. Magoo’s version, a childhood favorite.  One more I’ll throw in, but it’s not from A Christmas Carol: it’s Christopher Plummer’s rendition in The Man Who Invented Christmas, about how Dickens came to write his beloved tale.  Having Dan Stevens as Dickens didn’t hurt either.

Selena: My favorite is Reginald Owen.  Don't ask me why!  He just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment