Friday, September 11, 2026

Zine Making and Book Binding: A Beginner’s Guide in 25 Projects by Lauren Simkin Berke

 


Reviewed by Jeanne

Way back in the olden days, when mimeograph was the standard and off-set printing an expensive proposition, I discovered zines.  Short for “magazine,” these were largely fan-produced publications with assorted content, depending on the fandom: they could have stories, poems, reviews, news, etc.  Flash forward a few decades and all at once it seemed people were talking about zines again. This time many seemed to be the product of a single author/artist, but still a creative outlet.

When this book first came in, I didn’t examine it thoroughly because I am not the creative type and didn’t think it applied to me.  Some time later I picked it up and discovered that it’s actually more about the physical creation of a personal book and was intrigued.

I was very impressed with the first chapter, which went over the parts of the book, tools, needed, and some terms to know.  I had no idea what a “bone folder” was, so had to look that up. (It’s a tool used to score paper, and is indeed traditionally made of bone.) The book press was like the flower press that the Jones Center for Creative Arts, Technology, and Workforce Development helped folks make a year or so ago.  Some of the tools are ordinary things (a ruler, glue cup) while others are more specialized like, well, the bone folder.

Berke also talks about the different types of bindings, including perfect bound (glued) or other sewn bindings as well as coil binding and other methods.

All this is just to get one started in the process of making a book.  The rest of the chapters are devoted to step by step instructions on how to make your own sewn book, on how to do the paper folds, creative pop-ups, or expandable book forms.  The section on making accordion book forms includes how to make book ornaments.

In short, this is a very good resource for anyone interested in making their own books or zines.  There are also other resources listed, and the information is up to date. Alas, there is no index but there is a pretty thorough chapter list in the front of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment