Friday, October 25, 2024

Day of the Dead: More than 24 Projects that Celebrate Dia de Los Muertos by Kerry Arquette, Andrea Zocchi & Jerry Vigil

 


 Reviewed by Jeanne

If the colorful Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) decorations have caught your eye, here’s a craft book which will help you create your own.  The book opens with a brief overview of the history of the holiday with roots primarily in Mexico. It’s a day for honoring and remembering the dead, and a holiday that emphasizes family. It’s usually celebrated on November 1 and 2, but can be observed on other days as well.

I like looking at craft books even though I rarely attempt any sort of craft these days.  (I have a closet full of materials for projects that I thought I would do and haven’t.  It hasn’t been a total loss, though, as the cats have found the pipe cleaners to be the best toys ever!) Anyway, this is a gem of a book that I thoroughly enjoyed.  It not only gave me information about the holiday but it highlighted the work of various artists. 

The first chapter was on ofrendas, which are altars to encourage the dead to visit their living families.  These are often set up in homes, but can be done in public spaces or in cemeteries.  Color photos show different styles, and then illustrate various elements of the altar: photos of the deceased, favorite foods, candles, and so forth.  The photos showed personal altars, altars for groups of people, and even for famous people like artist Frida Kahlo.  I especially liked that most of these had some background information from the various artists.  The next section shows how to construct a small altar, which actually looks both nice and like something I could do.  (The only iffy part is that they suggest using a cigar box.  I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a cigar box….)

The second chapter is devoted to Calaveras, the skeletons who play a big role in the decorations.  Again, there is an explanation of their role in the holiday as well as information on the materials often used to construct them.  There are some wonderful photos of different calaveras in elaborate settings, and made from various materials:  polymer clay, sticks, cloth, metal, and fabric. The book has very detailed instructions for the polymer clay ones.

The rest of the book does much the same, highlighting examples of the work as well as the artists who created them, and then supplying some instruction. I view this book as more inspirational than instructional, though clever people will be able to make

Mostly I just loved looking at the photos and admiring the artistry.  I also enjoyed learning more about some of the figures, cultural aspects, beliefs, and history.  I only wish it had been a coffee table type book with larger photos but then that would have made it less useful as a craft book.

Non-crafters could enjoy this book. Even if I never make any of the crafts, I have already had a great deal of enjoyment from the photos.  Now I want to watch “Coco” again—I think I’ll understand the symbolism behind the decorations more.


No comments:

Post a Comment