Friday, December 8, 2023

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

 



Reviewed by Jeanne

Yes, I’m very late coming to the Kinsey Millhone party! When I first became aware of Sue Grafton’s series, she was well into the alphabet, so I just kept putting off reading.  I’d heard about how Grafton chose to keep the series grounded in the 1980s, making later entries turn into historical novels.  I’d read about how tough Kinsey was and how the character blazed a trail for female PI characters.  I’d read about all the awards and accolades. I still didn’t pick up the series.

When Grafton passed away suddenly, leaving the series to end at Y, I rather felt there would be no ending and maybe I shouldn’t even start the series.

Recently I was getting ready to go out of town, so I was browsing the BPL’s wonderful giftshop.  I found a copy of the first book, A is for Alibi, for a quarter so I decided I’d take it.  If I didn’t like it, I could leave the book behind.

Thirty pages in, and I knew I was not leaving the book behind.

Not only was this a good mystery, but I loved the ambiance. Grafton’s descriptions brought the scenes alive, and her character sketches were deftly done.  Most of all, I discovered I really liked Kinsey.  She’s someone I’d like to have as a friend, though she doesn’t really encourage close ties.  I admired her tenacity, her integrity, and her intelligence.  I love the way that she analyzes situations and people, without sentiment. She’s cool-headed, but not perfect.

In this first entry, Kinsey is approached by a woman who has just gotten out of jail for murdering her husband.  She hires Kinsey to prove she didn’t do it, leaving Kinsey to start digging up information about a very cold and very closed case. And Kinsey doesn’t rule out the possibility that her client might have done it after all.

It was a fascinating ride that ended in one of the best endings I can recall reading in a while. All I can say is, “Wow.”

I consulted with a friend who says the series doesn’t have to be read in strict order, though of course one would not want to skip to Y immediately.  I picked up C is for Corpse and immediately was drawn into that story as well.  I can see I’m going to be reading the whole series!

No comments:

Post a Comment