Friday, March 31, 2023

Shadows Over Baker Street edited by Michael Reaves and John Pelan

 



Reviewed by Jeanne

This wonderful collection of short stories imagines the worlds of Sherlock Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft colliding to deliciously chilling effect.  There’s a good mix of authors, from Poppy Z. Brite to Brian Stableford to Barbara Hambly, and as far as I’m concerned, there wasn’t a bad story in the bunch. I’ll confess outright while I have read a number of Lovecraft’s tales such as The Dunwich Horror, Rats in the Walls, and Pickman’s Model, I’m not well-versed in the world.  I’m sure I missed a lot of subtle touches, but even so I thoroughly enjoyed these tales.

I picked the book up to re-read a favorite story:  Neil Gaiman’s A Study in Emerald. I had read it in another collection some years ago, and then inspired by the graphic novel version of the story, decided I wanted to read the original and ended up working my way through the whole book. Gaiman’s story is set in a universe where, we gradually realize, the Earth is ruled by the Great Old Ones as royal families and the Great Detective and his Bosworth are called upon to solve the mystery of a murder of the Queen’s nephew. The writing is superb and the surprises are many.  I especially liked the advertisements that appeared from time to time.

 Some authors made more of the Victorian setting than others; The Curious Case of Miss Violet Stone by Brite and Ferguson which has Holmes and Watson investigating the case of a young woman who, it is claimed, has not eaten in three years is a reflection of the “fasting girls” of that era. 

Another uses Watson’s service in Afghanistan as a backdrop.  The Adventure of the Arab’s Manuscript by Michael Reaves had Watson encountering a woman who had once saved his life and who now is on the trail of a copy of a forbidden book. 

Usually in such a collection I’ll find a story or two that I consider a complete clunker, but not in this one. While I liked some stories better than others, there wasn’t a one I disliked.

If you like Holmes with a bit of a supernatural edge, this may be a collection for you. I think Lovecraft fans would also enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment