Friday, December 9, 2022

Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon

 



Reviewed by Christy

Ari Abrams is a tv meteorologist who loves her job. Like, loves. She has an endless supply of weather-related jewelry, and rainy days are genuinely her favorite. Her idol growing up was Torrance Hale, Seattle’s legendary weatherwoman. When Ari got a chance to work with Torrance at the local news station, she jumped at the chance, eager to foster a mentor/mentee relationship with her hero. Unfortunately, Torrance is too distracted arguing with her ex-husband, the station’s news director. It’s been five years since the divorce but they still haven’t figured out a way to get along.

            After a disastrous holiday party (and a few rounds of drinks), Ari and sports reporter Russell Barringer plot to bring their bosses back together in order to achieve workplace harmony once again. It worked in The Parent Trap, right? How hard could it be?

            I was utterly delighted by this novel. It could be because I had just finished a slog of a book but Weather Girl felt like a refreshing misty rain. I found the leads adorable (I just loved all of Ari’s weather accessories) and sweet. I also liked that the love interest Russell was heavier set because I don’t think I’ve read that in a romance novel yet. (Although I’m sure there are more out there.) As light and fun as this novel can be, it does deal with serious topics like mental health and family dysfunction. Part of the reason I liked this so much was because the relationship obstacles did not feel contrived for the sake of having obstacles. They felt real.

            The only thing I disliked, and I will even go so far as to say that I hated it, was an event at the end of the book. Without getting into spoilers, I didn’t hate what happened but where it happened. Am I being picky? Maybe. Nevertheless, it took the air out of the moment for me.

            That being said, I loved this story! I can even see myself re-reading it when I need to pick up something fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment