Monday, January 3, 2022

A Study in Crimson by Robert J. Harris



 

Reviewed by Jeanne

I do like a good Sherlock Holmes novel—emphasis on “good,” though I admit that is a very subjective rating. My attention was drawn to this one because the author had a specific vision in mind.  Instead of following the Conan Doyle canon, he wanted to do a book in the style of the Basil Rathbone Holmes adventures set during World War II.

I was intrigued.

The setting is 1942 and the bombs aren’t falling on London as they once did.  Although the Blitz seems over, London is still under blackout conditions at night.  The cover of darkness may help keep the Germans at bay, but it also allows other bad actors to operate freely. Lestrade finds himself investigating a ghastly murder that bears the hallmarks of none other than Jack the Ripper.  This is obviously a case above his pay grade, so he enlists the aid of Holmes and, of course, his faithful chronicler Dr. Watson.

Watson is recently widowed, and still grieving the loss of his wife so he is throwing himself into the war effort by putting in shifts at the hospital.  He’s also back in his familiar role assisting Holmes as he investigates cases that may have national security implications, such as locating a scientist who vanished from a locked room.

Populated with a cast of colorful characters, most notably an American woman journalist whose over the top utterances help lighten the tone.  There are lots of clues, but Holmes is never fooled for a moment. The ending is satisfying, and I would enjoy a return visit some time.

I think the reason I liked it as much as I did is that I really could see it as one of those black and white films with the calm and likeable Rathbone. I was relieved that Watson, while suitably astounded at Holmes’ deductions, wasn’t portrayed as the buffoon he sometimes appeared in those same movies.  I never liked that aspect; I think that’s why I didn’t enjoy Rathbone’s portrayal as much because of Nigel Bruce’s bumbling Watson, on whose behalf I was often embarrassed. Gail Preston, the aforementioned journalist, takes over some of the humor duties in much the way any smart-talking American dame would do in films of that era.

In short, this is fun and somewhat nostalgic look at one version of Holmes. It worked well for me; I hope it will for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment