Monday, October 7, 2013

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James



Reviewed by Laurie

I wasn’t sure if I should read this trilogy or not.  I mean, I’d heard all the rumors.  I envisioned it would be something like The Story of O (yes, I’m a product of the 60s). So I did what anyone would do in my situation:  I asked my 23 year old daughter if she thought I was “old enough” to read Fifty Shades.  She basically told me I could handle it and I started reading it.

It’s the story of this naïve young student named Anastasia who goes to interview wealthy, young, handsome entrepreneur Christian Grey. Sparks fly. They’re both intrigued by each other but young Mr. Grey has some um, unusual preferences and some demons from his past that may be too much for Anastasia to handle.

This is a book you will either love or hate. There is page after page of sex.  Just as some books are too descriptive, this is too sexually explicit in sections.  It’s not well written.  The characters can be annoying and the same vocabulary is used again and again.   There is a contract which defines their (very explicit) sexual relationship which had terms I did not know.  There are also some sexual items used which I didn’t know.  Of course I asked my daughter for definitions.

As I said before, this is a book you will love or hate.  I loved it.  I think it’s one of the best modern day romance series I have read.  I would even be willing to read it again, and I just might before the movie comes out.   How can I say that after I’ve just told you all the things wrong with it? When all is said and done, it’s a very good love story.  I just can’t resist a conflicted man and an innocent girl.  Ah, romance….

In case you want to read all three, the books in order are Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment