Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pru Marlowe, Pet Psychic



Dogs Don’t Lie by Clea Simon

Reviewed by Jeanne

Pru Marlow doesn’t smile when she hears someone say, “Oh, I wish I knew what my dog was thinking!” because Pru probably does know: she has a psychic connection that allows her to hear/see what some animals are thinking.

That’s how she knows Lily the pit bull didn’t kill her master.

Unfortunately, the cops don’t have Pru’s inside information. When they arrive at the scene to find a man with his throat torn out and a dog covered in blood, they reach an instant conclusion. Pru has been working with Lily and knows about the dog’s horrific stint with a dog fighting ring, but she also knows that Lily is a gentle, wounded soul who adored Charles, her rescuer. The trouble is that Pru’s evidence isn’t admissible in court and just might get her sent to a mental institution. Complicating matters is the fact that as a dog trainer, Pru herself might be a suspect. Could the police believe that she trained Lily to attack her owner?

I will confess up front that I’ve been intrigued by stories of animal communicators, those folks who claim they can talk to pets and receive thoughts back. I would like to believe but then again, I’d like to believe I can win the lottery, too. Simon takes this idea (communication, not my winning the lottery) and makes it plausible. Pru does have conversations with Wallis, a tabby as imperious as the Duchess of Windsor, but for the most part her communications are vague, words or images gleaned from minds that work on somewhat different planes than ours. One of the most fascinating parts for me is the view that Pru gets from the animals about themselves, a view that is often quite different from that their human holds. Bitsy, for example, is a little fluff-ball of a Bichon, but he thinks of himself as Growler.

However, most of the book feels “real,” not at all supernatural. Pru is afraid that her talent will be found out and she’ll be considered insane. Actually, when her talent first revealed itself, it was so frightening that she committed herself to a mental hospital for a few days. Once she got out, she then fled the city without finishing her degree—a stumbling block that makes it difficult for her to find a job. Instead, she’s stuck trying to make ends meet with a series of odd jobs, from dog walking to helping a vet to training. The animals do give Pru some clues—in fact, all the clues she needs—but it’s the interpretation problem than keeps Pru and the reader from seeing the answer until the end.

One thing I also really liked about this book is that it really is a mystery. Some of the paranormal books spend more time on the “out-there” trappings and short change the mystery section. That’s not necessarily a bad thing at times, but I sometimes feel a little cheated. Growing up on some of the classic mysteries, I developed that feeling that the author should play fair with the reader, give her or him enough information to figure it out independently of being told. I like a book that after I read whodunit, I can instantly remember some of the clues that should have led me to that conclusion.

Secondly, and most importantly for me, I liked the characters. The animals tend to be more developed than the humans, though in part that’s due to Pru’s tendency to hold people at arm’s length, afraid of accidentally revealing her talent. One of my favorite characters is Frank, a ferret obsessed with all that is shiny. I also felt for Floyd, a big black Persian who is pining for his person.

Finally, I enjoyed the respect for animals. I have to admit that one of my pet peeves (no pun intended) is when a book introduces an animal character just to have it killed off. Part of that respect is to permit the non-human characters to be individuals, to be snarky or sullen or sweet. Several scenes took place in an animal shelter, which can be unpleasant. It’s an easy place to portray as heartless, but the people I know who volunteer at local shelters are devoted, compassionate people who try to do the best they can under difficult conditions. Simon hit exactly the right notes for me.

I’ve read and enjoyed Clea Simon’s mysteries before, but I think this one might be the book to introduce her to a wider audience. I’ll be looking forward to Pru’s next adventure!

I read this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy. The book is on order for the library but you can still put it on reserve.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for reading! I guess, if truth be told, I often prefer animals to people too..

    ReplyDelete