Friday, August 14, 2026

A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

 


Reviewed by Jeanne

Famed detective Hercule Poirot is troubled when he receives a note questioning his skills and threatening crimes to come.  The author signs his name A.B.C. and challenges Poirot to stop a crime the writer is going to commit.  While the police and even his friend Hastings chalk the note up to someone playing a prank, Poirot is troubled.

It soon seems his fear is well founded as a woman with the initials A. A. is found murdered in a village whose name also starts with A. The police begin questioning her family, friends, and associates, but why an elderly shopkeeper would have been murdered and nothing stolen remains a puzzle.

When a second note arrives, followed by a second murder with location and victim having names that start with B, Poirot redoubles his efforts.  If he can’t find the murderer soon, there may be a whole alphabet of murders to contend with.

Classic fair play mysteries are my jam.  I discovered Agatha Christie in sixth or seventh grade and worked my way through most of her works. I especially loved Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, and the one book of Harley Quin stories (no, not the one from the comics!)

Later when I moved into more contemporary mysteries, I found that many just dismissed Agatha Christie.  She wasn’t literate enough or hard boiled enough or violent enough.  Other writers were held in much higher esteem.  Several decades on, many of those esteemed writers have all but vanished from the general public’s consciousness, but Dame Agatha still looms large. Why?

There are many theories but I think it’s because her  books are very entertaining and have held up well.  True, the books are now historical because of the time that has elapsed, bringing changes to attitudes, customs, and especially technology, but the clever plots, deft character sketches, and inviting the reader to follow the clues still makes for pleasurable reading.

Reading the books as an adult, I find many things that went over my head as a child but now have new meaning.  I find the era in which she wrote to be very intriguing. Things that were ordinary and common at the time are now exotic.  For example, I remember that Miss Marple knew the meanings of flowers and often decoded a message from a bouquet, which baffled me at the time but now delights me.  I may have read a book or two on Victorian flower language because of this.

Most of all, I appreciate Dame Agatha’s skill at plotting and leaving clues for the reader.  In this book, I was able to pick up some of them but I didn’t have the full picture.  I cared about what happened to some of her characters while being a tad suspicious of them at the same time. The plots themselves are inventive, intriguing, and most of all, memorable. 

I’m happy to note that more of her titles are being reprinted and, I hope, are attracting new readers to the Queen of Crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment