Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things that Happened by Allie Brosh




Reviewed by Meygan

Before I begin my review, I feel that I must explain something. My husband is no longer a night owl, but I am. Therefore, when he is in bed trying to get enough slumber for his 6am awakening, I am in bed cozied up with two cats of my three cats and a good book. Anyways, the lightest sound irritates my husband whenever he is sleeping, and this includes if the two cats decide to fight on top of us in the middle of the night. Well, the particular night that I decided that I would read Hyperbole and a Half, my husband was already annoyed by the fact my youngest cat would not stop meowing. When she finally fell asleep, I began reading. I could not contain my laughter. I laughed so loud but was trying to be quite at the same time, so that resulted in the bed shaking like a vibrating bed from the 1970s. Not only did this wake up my husband, but my cats woke up again and started going crazy—meowing and running and scratching everything they could get their little claws on. Needless to say, I read this book last night upstairs on my couch away from Mr. Early Bird. 

Now, I felt like I had to say that just so people will get the idea of how hilarious and absurd I found this book. Allie Brosh tries to describe her own book but she can’t, so she just makes a list of things that are in the book such as pictures, words, stories about dogs, etc. Allie Brosh is a very entertaining author, plus the use of memes and comic book like illustrations set it apart from other books. She tells many stories about her dogs, which she refers to as Simple dog and the Helper dog. She also includes a story from her childhood where she devoured an entire birthday cake that was made for her grandfather, even though her mother had repeatedly told her to stay away from the cake. One of my favorite stories is when Allie goes outside because she hears a horrifying noise only to discover that there is a goose in her yard. Suddenly realizing that she had a displeasing incident with a goose when she was a child, she slowly tries to make her way out of the goose’s way. While she manages to escape the ghastly goose, she forgets that she has left the back door open, in which the goose proceeds to enter the house and attack her boyfriend. Allie and Duncan spend quite some time trying to capture the goose, all while debating if they could just leave the goose in their house and avoid that room for the rest of their lives. 

Although all of her topics aren’t serious, Allie approaches them with hilarity. She spends a section of the book talking about when she was depressed and how no matter what she tried to do, she couldn’t stop being depressed. No one in her life seemed to understand that. “But trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression if like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back.” Not only is Allie’s writing style entertaining, but there is such a great degree of honesty to it as well. I like that Allie doesn’t hold back and doesn’t seem to care that she is a rather strange person. In fact, I would try to be best friends with her if I could. So Allie, if you are reading this, then perhaps we can write Hyperbole and a Half Part Two. But I will warn you that I have no experience with owning dogs since I am a crazy cat lady.
Check out Allie Brosh’s blog for more unfortunate situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem, and other things that happened: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment