Friday, December 21, 2012

Our Favorite Things: Christmas Books

Selena:  I’m reading The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen and I’m loving it! There is something wonderful about reading a good Christmas mystery or a Christmas love story—or even better, both! I have missed the last two in her “Royal Spyness” series but I am really enjoying this one. Small village, cozy English Christmas, lots of ( accidental) deaths and a cousin to the King. With silly Americans in attendance, too.  I can't wait to see what happens. I’d just keep reading if my children didn't need to be fed!


Janice: Three from Galilee by Marjorie Holmes is a wonderful book. It’s a novel about the “lost years” of Jesus’ life.  It’s a sequel to Two From Galilee, which is about Mary and Joseph.  I also pick the poem  The Night before Christmas  because I had to memorize it in school!

Jeanne:  Last year I read a delightful collection of science fiction/ fantasy Christmas stories and novellas by Connie Willis entitled Miracle and Other Christmas Stories.  Willis has a sharp wit, a vivid imagination, and strong opinions, which I found delightful.  In the title story, she makes an argument for “Miracle on 34th Street” over “It’s a Wonderful Life” as a better movie while producing a story that would make a great movie itself.  There’s also a murder mystery set in an English country house, a bit of Christmas horror, and Willis’ recommendations for Christmas books and movies.

I also still enjoy The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  I can never forget those Herdmans!

No comments:

Post a Comment