Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Favorite Christmas Things: Songs



Ramblings by Jeanne

With the holiday season breathing down our necks—er, fast approaching, it’s time to stop, take a deep breath, and remember some of the things we like about the holidays.  It’s not going to be the rushing, the rowdy crowds, the cleaning, or the pressure to buy gifts, mail cards, and clean.  (Yes, I did say list “clean” twice. I could list it a dozen times and it still is not going to happen at my house unless those elves decide they’re tired of the toy biz and want to try maid service instead.  I’ll provide the cookies and milk!)

Back to happier subjects. One of the things I enjoy most about Christmas is the music.  Mostly I enjoy old favorites but a few newer songs have crept in over the years.  Here are ten of my favorite songs, in no particular order:

“Have a Holly Jolly Christmas” was written by Johnny Marks, the same man who wrote the song “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”  (The story was written by Marks’ brother in law Robert L. May for Montgomery Ward.) It was originally recorded by the Quinto Sisters but I first heard the Burl Ives version which was part of the “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” TV special.  Numerous folk have recorded it, but my favorite versions are by Ives and Alan Jackson.

“I’ll Be Home For Christmas” was a huge hit for Bing Crosby and is still associated with him. It came out in 1943 and was a favorite of both the American troops and those they left behind.  This lovely, melancholy song is one I pause and listen to no matter who the singer.  There are many fine versions by both male and female singers; Martina McBride did a very nice one on her Christmas album. I don’t think I would have chosen this as a favorite a few years ago but as I get older and it becomes harder for family and friends to get together, this song becomes a poignant reminder of how much we take for granted.

“The Little Drummer Boy” is another one I think I first saw with the animated TV show.  The song was originally called “The Carol of the Drum” and was written by Katherine Kennicott Davis, an American classical composer.  The Von Trapp Family Singers (yes, THOSE Von Trapps!) recorded it very early.  I don’t have a particular favorite singer on this one, but I’ve most often been asked about the Bing Crosby/ David Bowie duet, which is indeed a very fine version.

“Pretty Paper” by Willie Nelson always makes me think of The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen, a story I cried over many times as a child.  Nelson’s song captures the bustle of the season as well as the sadness.  It’s not a particularly popular choice, perhaps because it’s not a song where everything comes right in the end.  The shoppers still rush by, leaving the man to try to sell his “pretty paper, pretty ribbons of blue/wrap your presents to your darling from you/pretty pencils to write I love you.” Roy Orbison had the first hit with this song, and I’ve heard it by others, but I still favor Willie’s version.

“Christmas Cookies”
by George Strait is just a fun song.  The only problem is that I start craving cookies after I hear it. With frosting.  And sprinkles.  Wouldn’t hurt to have George there, either.

“Santa Baby” is a song I didn’t quite get as a child but now I find very funny and always gets my feet moving.  I know others have sung it, but for me Eartha Kitt OWNS that song. It was written in 1953 by Joan Javits and Tony Springer.

“We Three Kings”
is certainly one of my favorites, but it isn’t recorded as often as some carols. I’m still searching for the perfect version, but two artists come close:  Dolly Parton and John Berry. Berry’s version actually had three singers:  Berry, Kenny Rogers, and Billy Dean.

“Do You Hear What I Hear?” was written by Noel Regney and Gloira Shayne in 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis as a plea for peace.  It’s an amazing song which always draws my attention, no matter the singer. 

 “Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland” was written in 1934 by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith.  It’s a lively song, a bit romantic (providing you go with the original lyrics about Parson Brown and not the later circus clown) and is just plain fun.  Dean Martin did a fine version as have many other people.  It’s also a song that lends itself to parody.  Let’s just say that Bob Rivers’ version made me laugh until I cried.

“Mary Did You Know?” was on Kathy Mattea’s “Good News” Christmas album which came out in 1993.  Simple and heartfelt, it made a big impression and remains my favorite version.

If anyone else has a favorite, please chime in below!

3 comments:

  1. Holly White Comment:

    My favorite Christmas song is "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel," because of its haunting minor key and its message about the redemption that Christ was born to bring to us. It doesn't really matter who sings it; it's just a beautiful song. Although, I did hear a great instrumental rendition of it by a saxophone player named Mark Townsend on a CD called "Fireside Christmas."

    Actually, anything Mark Townsend does on that CD is outstanding, and that is my favorite Christmas CD. And when I say it's my favorite Christmas CD, you must understand that I collect Christmas music and listen to it from November to January (and sometimes in August; hey, don't judge me). I usually buy AT LEAST one new CD every Christmas season, and since I am (ahem) years old, that means I have quite a collection. So when I say "Fireside Christmas" is my favorite, that means I am really giving it a place of honor. Its version of "Carol of the Bells" is wonderful, too, but probably my favorite rendition of that is the humorous one on the DVD "Claymation Christmas." That CD and that DVD are as much Christmas staples for me as the Grinch and "It's a Wonderful Life."

    My second favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night," and my favorite version are Nat King Cole (of course) and a duet my Leigh Nash and Michael Tait.

    Another favorite (here is where I lose the ordinal numbers) is "Angels We Have Heard on High," and probably my favorite version of that is by a group called Avalon. I once heard them do it live and it was stunning.

    One of my favorite Christmas songs is NOT "Joy to the World," although I love the music and the message; it's just that I feel it's been overdone. However, when I hear a fresh version, it excites me. My favorite version of "Joy to the World" was done by a group called Anointed. They changed it a bit and rubbed some funk on it. :) A close second to that version is the version by Crystal Lewis; hers is smooth jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly White comment, continued

    If you like rap or hiphop, and if you love "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," as I do, then there's this awesome song on the Disney inspirational soundtrack to the LWW movie. The song is called "New World," by tobyMac. It is probably my favorite song by him, and I love everything he does. I know, a LWW song is not Christmas music, per se, but the book/movie does talk about it's being "always winter, and never Christmas," so that when Father Christmas shows up, it is this huge thing. It gives me chills.

    But I am not just into hiphop and jazz. There is a music group called Annie Moses Band, and they do almost exclusively Christmas music in a variety of styles, everything from classical to bluegrass. They tour during the Christmas season, and I have been privileged to see them live. If you ever get the chance to see them live, you will not want to miss it. They are a family of musicians, and every one of them is a truly outstanding performer, and together ... they are dynamite. Everything by them is good.

    I also have a version of Handel's "Messiah," called "A Soulful Celebration," and I highly recommend that CD as well. It's done by a group of artists, and it's done in ALL musical styles. In fact, on the prelude, they even do a history of music from classical to current. It's an excellent piece of workmanship. I love the original Handel's "Messiah," but this one has, for me, become the definitive version even though it might make Handel turn over in his grave. :) Then again, who knows? Maybe he'd love it!

    Another compilation CD by a group of artists is "City on a Hill Christmas." There are at least two of these, and while both of them are excellent, my favorite is the first. These CDs do some traditional songs but also intersperse them with original works such as "Babe in the Straw" and "Child of Love," both of which are among my favorites on those CDs. These would be good for people who prefer soft contemporary music. The version of "O Holy Night" (that was a duet by Michael Tait and Leigh Nash) that I mentioned above came from one of these CDs.

    Of course, no Christmas would be complete without Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack to the movie "A Charlie Brown Christmas." My favorite on that one is probably the one everyone most recognizes: "Linus and Lucy." It's not even particularly a Christmas song; but when I hear it, (and probably when you hear it too) it makes me think of Christmas, being cold outside and warm inside, trees with dazzling lights, drinking hot wassail, and opening gifts, and spending time with family and friends.

    I also love "Wonderful Christmastime," by Paul McCartney. That song gives me that same feeling.

    I must also mention another song from a Christmas movie, "The Muppet Christmas Carol." This is another staple for me every Christmas. While the Muppets can be goofy, they can also be moving. This movie has made me cry more than once. There is a song in it called "Thankful Heart" that is done after Scrooge changes his heart, and it is tremendous. All the songs from that movie are great, but that one is my favorite.

    I must close out with the song that has come to mean the most to me during THIS Christmas season, a song that made me cry the other day when I was listening to it, what with the shootings in Oregon and Connecticut, and with things going on in my own life, it is so comforting to remember that God sent Christ here to redeem us from all the sin and from all the terror and from all the negative that there is in this world. That song is "Welcome to Our World," by Chris Rice. And that ... is what Christmas is all about. That is why we put up lights and give gifts and sing songs and feast: we are celebrating that very redemption that we and this world need so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Janice H.: My favorite songs are "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Silent Night."

    ReplyDelete