Friday, February 9, 2024

The Fine Art of Flirting by Joyce Jillson



Reviewed by Kristin

The BPL gift shop offers up a wide variety of books for all ages. As I was walking by the 25 cent cart, I couldn’t resist picking up a book with a hot pink spine, The Fine Art of Flirting. Turns out it was published in 1984, which is close enough to the last time I was flirting. Whether I was ever successful or not is debatable. If only I had this book….I met my even more awkward husband in 1990 and that began our happily ever after.

If you need any flirting tips or just a funny book, you might want to read this book. Keep in mind that some of these tips go directly against what passes for common sense in 2023*, and most Human Resources policies. (Definitely skip Chapter 22: Flirting at Work.)

A few ideas on how to be a good flirt:

          Say hello with energy

          Repeat the person’s name

          Ask for your new friend’s life story

          Leave them wanting more

          To get subtle attention—whisper

Then there are flirting haunts, or places you should frequent to flirt:

          Dry cleaners

          Seminars

          Take-out food places

          The Sierra Club

          Video cassette rental stores (remember, 1984)

Author Jillson does include an extremely short chapter entitled When Not to Flirt. Spoiler alert, the main times not to flirt are:

When you’re sick

With your children

On the witness stand (yes, really)

With your letter carrier

At family reunions

While I can’t actually recommend this book for any person wanting to begin a major flirting campaign in the hopes of finding a romantic partner, I can recommend it for a good laugh. In fact, if you want it, I’ll pay the 25 cents for the first person who asks me for it at the reference desk.

 

* Please, please, please, have common sense, courtesy, and respect for boundaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment