Monday, November 6, 2023

All Hallows by Christopher Golden

 


Reviewed by Christy

            It's 1984, and a neighborhood in Massachusetts is gearing up for Halloween night. There'll be a big party at the Koenigs', a haunted woods attraction down the road, and of course trick or treating. Mixed in with the superheroes and rock stars are a few kids in vintage, ratty costumes and crumbling makeup. They beg the trick-or-treaters to keep them safe from The Cunning Man.

            The meat of the spookiness doesn't even really start until more than half way through the book (although there are glimpses here and there throughout.) The story unfurls very slowly, and honestly, I loved it. The whole story takes place on a single street on a single night, and we get to know the neighbors gradually. This containment worked well and provided a great sense of atmosphere. I love a "simmering secrets" plotline anyway so to have that with a little dash of horror was a perfect recipe for me. It also helps that it's very well done with engaging characters that I cared about.

            I also appreciated that Golden did not hit readers over the head with 1980s references. They're there, sure, but it's natural and sporadic. I suspect the only reason it's even set in the 1980s is to simplify the story: no texts, no Ring cameras, no social media, no easy way to check in with the kids (which also adds another element of dread).

            If you're in the mood to settle into some neighborhood drama (that devolves into Halloween horror and maybe even some tears), I really can't recommend this one enough. I've already added it to my favorites list.

1 comment:

  1. Golden (who has published 287,913 books -- True. I counted!) is as talented as he is prolific. Always a great read!

    ReplyDelete