Friday, January 14, 2022

My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones

            Reviewed by Christy

        Jade is a half-Indian, horror-obsessed, outcast in her small mountain town of Proofrock. Instead of writing on topic for her high school history papers, she mostly just goes on long diatribes that dissect and analyze her favorite thing in the world: slasher movies. Because of this, Jade is definitely not an honors student. But something nefarious is bubbling under the surface of her sleepy hometown, and for once, Jade's endless slasher knowledge may come in handy in the real world.

            I was underwhelmed by Stephen Graham Jones' previous novel and breakout hit The Only Good Indians. The place was sluggish, and the writing style took some getting used to. I could see the potential, however, so I didn't hate it. The plot of My Heart is a Chainsaw was an easy sell for me, so I picked it up not even sure if I was going to like it. For whatever reason, the slow pace and writing style really worked for me this time around. Maybe I was better prepared or it just worked well with the plot. Jade is a know-it-all teenager who keeps to herself and doesn't apply herself in school. Her dad is abusive, and her mom is nowhere to be found. (Well, unless Jade walks into the dollar store where she works.) Despite her family background, Jade is a good kid who seemingly tries to see the good in people like her history teacher Mr. Holmes or the town sheriff. When rich, white people start building McMansions across the lake, Mr. Holmes rails against gentrification but Jade suspects something even more sinister is happening.

            Jones' writing can be confusing and meandering at times. At first, I couldn't figure out if Jade actually was an after-hours school janitor or if she just dressed up in coveralls because of Michael Myers. (She was a janitor. Maybe because she wanted the coveralls?) Some things go unanswered. The ending is chaotic and bleak, and I can see it being decisive. Not every single thing worked for me in this book but overall, I really loved Jade and wanted only good things for her. I found her digressions on slasher movies really interesting, and I think Jade would like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment