Friday, January 9, 2015

The Madwoman in the Volvo: My Year of Raging Hormones by Sandra Tsing Loh



Reviewed by Laurie



This is a memoir about a woman who recounts her experience through the “change of life.” This book is funny and I caught myself giggling throughout it.  The author’s life is totally chaotic.  She is dealing with preteen daughters; an eighty-nine year old father,  a career,  an affair, and a divorce while her hormones are wreaking havoc with her physical, mental, emotional and spiritual self. Every day perils are amplified a thousand times due to menopause. Her reactions are crazy, and over-the-top.  For example her daughter gets bullied and she goes to the school to confront the ten-year-old and dresses the part with jeans, boots and aviator glasses. This book reads at a frantic pace as you are swept up into the tornado of her life. 

I would recommend this book for both men and women 45 and over.  The men will realize that this is a hormonal phase that should be supported and understood. It will also answer the question of “why is she so moody, crazy, bitchy, lately?” The women will realize that this is a hormonal phase that is like trying to go through a wind tunnel.  It will also answer the question “why do I feel soooooo ___________?”

 At the end of the book the author speaks to what she has learned and provides helpful tips.  I wish I had this book when I was going through it!  In hindsight, now I know why I behaved so erratically and why I wanted to slap everyone in my life upside the head, especially co-workers, bank tellers and mostly my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment