Saturday, February 19, 2011

2000-2009: What a Difference a Decade Makes!




Reviewed by Nancy

As a youngster, back in the eighteen hundreds, uh, no, I'm sorry it was the early nineteen hundreds. Oh, no, I guess it was the mid twentieth century. Well, whatever. Anyway, a LONG TIME AGO when I was young and in school, anytime I was issued a new textbook the first thing I did was flip through the book and look at the pictures. Text only became important to me later in life. When I was young, I was all about the photographs.

I suppose that's why I so enjoyed looking at 2000 - 2009 The Decade That Changed The World by the editors of Life Books. (909.831 TWO Main)

Turning the pages of this book you can remember George Bush in his flight suit, Saddam Hussein in his hole in the ground, Tina Fey pretending to be Sarah Palin while playing the flute, the Boston Red Sox, Lance Armstrong, the flood of Hurricane Katrina, Michael Phelps, and on and on and on.

The book progresses through the decade year by year with a text summary of each year at the beginning of the section.

The 2001 section features only photographs of the inauguration of George Bush, the World Trade Center disaster, and the war in Afghanistan. For other highlights of that year, one must read the text.

If, after this, you feel the need to dwell on more lighthearted images, flip to one of the two "of the moment" sections and entertain yourself with a sassy picture of Amy Winehouse or an elegant photo of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

2000 - 2009 The Decade That Changed The World closes with a "farewell" section that presents photos of some of the national figures that exited this earthly plane during the decade.

Throughout the book I found myself thinking over and over again, "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that." If you'd like to review the things you remember, or check to see what you've forgotten, have a look at this book. It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment