Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dresden "Changes"

Changes by Jim Butcher (F BUT Main)

Reviewed by Mikey as channeled by Susan P.

It seems like I waited forever to read this book. I had hoped to read it at the beginning of April when it came out on Amazon Kindle. Unfortunately, because of a nasty pricing fight between Amazon and the book’s publisher, Penguin, I was left to find other ways to catch up on my favorite wizard. I drove myself crazy trying not to read the message boards and blogs that held spoilers and clues as to what the book was about. What I did pick up from magazine blurbs and message board titles is that this book was a defining and transitory book for Harry Dresden and friends. Luckily, I was saved by a guardian librarian angel who set aside a copy for me to read, so I thought I’d return the favor by writing a review for the library newsletter.

Usually, books I have a lot of high expectations for end up not being able to live up the hype. I would say Changes is an exception to that statement. The whole story is a roller coaster ride of action and drama that will keep readers turning pages till the end. The first sentence sets the ride into motion when Harry’s ex-girlfriend Susan Rodriquez tells Harry his daughter has been kidnapped by vampires. A daughter Harry did not know he had, mind you. There is no first chapter that builds up the story, no gradual discovery of what the book will be about; there’s just an immediate plot point thrown out there for the reader to absorb. For a Dresden Files fan, it will leave you feeling as shocked as Harry, almost like Butcher wants to knock the reader off balance. While a first time Dresden reader might not get the exact same effect, it is easy to quickly figure out that this is a huge shock for Harry. The rest of the book basically finds Harry discovering what lines and boundaries he is willing to cross to save a child he’s never met but is his nonetheless. As others have noted, the title Changes is quite apt since this book is a continental shift in terms of the character of Harry and his story. In fact, by the end of the book, everything readers have come to know about Harry has changed. I am hesitant to mention what changes because if you are a die-hard fan like me you probably want to discover them for yourself. Just be certain that the only thing recognizable about the Harry Dresden at the end of Changes to the Harry Dresden in previous books, is that he is still a wizard.

I will add this caveat for new readers, although you don’t need to read previous books to enjoy Changes, it does help. However, as a fantasy, action novel you can’t get much better that a Jim Butcher Dresden Files novel and Changes is no exception to that. There is also a warning for Dresden fans. Even though Changes is a must-read book and I highly recommend it, the ending is not only surprising but will basically drive you crazy as you wait for the next book in the series. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment